Hurricane Matthew - Green Industry Recovery Resources

In October 2016, Hurricane Matthew struck North Carolina, 
causing significant damage to green industry businesses across
the state. In addition to the initial impact, substantial flooding
in the days that followed compromised many operations in the
eastern and central regions.
As the road to recovery begins, NCNLA has created this 
resource page to assist members and other green industry
businesses throughout North Carolina in their efforts. This 
page will be updated frequently with news, pertinent 
information and other resources that are available to 
individuals and businesses in the aftermath of Matthew.
Please contact NCNLA if we can be of any assistance to you,
your business, your employees or your families.

NC Green Industry Recovery Facebook Page

VISIT, LIKE and SHARE today! This resource was created to assist businesses and individuals with requests for clean-up assistance and to provide on-going updates & information as the road to recovery begins.

Green Industry Damage Assessment Survey

NCNLA, in conjunction with Cooperative Extension and the NC Farm Bureau, created this survey to gauge the extent of damages caused to indsutry businesses. This data is critical to support our ongoing efforts to represent your interests.

Hurricane Recovery Resource Menu
Please click on the resource below for more information. This section will be updated as more information becomes available. Please check back regularly.
Wholesale Nurseries (Last Updated: October 26, 2016)
  • PRIOR TO BEGINNING CLEAN-UP: Photograph and document damages and losses. You will want to thoroughly document damages sustained to facilities, structures and plant material.
  • Inspect your property closely and pay particular attention to downed power lines, broken water lines, compromised structures and equipment, etc.
  • Secure your structures and buildings. Make any necessary repairs to your structures and facilities so they are secure from the weather and additional intrusion.
  • Take care of your plant material. Stand up all plant material as quickly as possible. Re-stake material as quickly as possible. Irrigate to flush any residue. Replant any material needing it. Prune to correct any damage.
  • Notify the proper authorities in the event of storm damage. Notify the local police or sheriff's department of any road obstructions or hazardous situations. Notify your electric company of any power outages so they can get your request in their repair sequences. Report water, sewer or gas line breaches to the appropriate authority. If in doubt, call the police or sheriff's department.
  • If necessary, notify disaster assistance agencies of your needs. If you have crop insurance, you may qualify for disaster assistance or low cost loans. Contact the appropriate agency as soon as possible for instruction. You may also find that information in the drop-down menus below.
  • Notify your customers of your situation. As quickly as possible, let your customers know how well you survived the storm and when you anticipate servicing their accounts.
  • Complete the Green Industry Damage & Loss Assessment Survey. 

Federal Crop Insurance

Risk Management Agency (RMA)

Federal Crop Insurance programs are administered by USDA's Risk
Management Agency (RMA), which underwrites crop insurance
policies for hundreds of commodities in the United States. Crop
insurance policies vary based on commodity and region.
How to apply for assistance: As crop insurance policies are sold
and serviced by private insurance companies, you should contact the 
local insurance agency who sold the policy to begin the disaster
application process.

Emergency Loan Program

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

The Emergency Loan Program is triggered when a natural disaster
is designated by the Secretary of Agriculture or a natural disaster or
emergency is declared by the President under the Stafford Act.
These loans help producers who suffer qualifying farm related losses
directly caused by the disaster in a county declared or designated
as a primary disaster or quarantine area. Also, farmers located in
counties that are contiguous to the declared, designated,
or quarantined area may qualify for Emergency loans.
For production losses, a 30% reduction in a primary crop in a
designated or contiguous county is required. Losses to quality,
such as receiving a 30% reduced price for flood damaged crops,
may be eligible for assistance, too.

Emergency Conservation Program

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and
ranchers to repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters
and to help put in place methods for water conservation during severe
drought. The ECP does this by giving ranchers and farmers funding
and assistance to repair the damaged farmland or to install methods
for water conservation.

Tree Assistance Program

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

The Tree Assistance Program (TAP) provides financial assistance
to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or
rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes and vines damaged by natural
Eligible trees, bushes, and vines are those from which an annual crop
is produced for commercial purposes. Nursery trees include
ornamental, fruit, nut and Christmas trees produced for commercial
sale. Trees used for pulp or timber are ineligible for TAP assistance.
Non-Insured Crop Disaster Assistance

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

The Non-Insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)
provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when
low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural
disasters. Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage
for 2016 crops.


Emergency Watershed Protection

Natural Resources & Conservation
Service (NRCS)
The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program 
responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. It is not
necessary for a national emergency to be declared for an area
to be eligible for assistance.
The program is designed to help people and conserve natural
resources by relieving imminent hazards to life and property
caused by floods, fires, wind­storms, and other natural
occurrences. EWP is an emergency recovery program.
All projects undertaken, with the exception of the pur­chase of
floodplain easements, must have a project sponsor.
NRCS may bear up to 75 percent of the construction
cost of emergency measures. The remaining 25 per­cent must
come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or
in-kind services. Funding is subject to Congressional approval.

Rural Development Programs

USDA Rural Development

Although not designed as a response program for disasters, 
many USDA Rural Development programs can still be of 
assistance in providing relief at those times. Examples include:
To learn more about Rural Development Programs in North
All Green Industry Businesses (Last Updated: November 2, 2016)
Corey Connors, NCNLA's Executive Vice President, complied a tool for green industry businesses to utilize when exploring their options for federal and state disaster relief programs. Please click on the link: "NC Hurricane Recovery Relief Presentation" to view this resource.
If you have additional questions, please contact Corey Connors at (919) 816-9119, or by email at
Dr. Anthony LeBude, Cooperative Extension's Statewide Nursery Specialist, has complied a tool for green industry businesses to utilize when determining the health and viability of affected plant material. Please click on the link: "Managing Storm and Disaster Damage in Landscapes and Nurseries" to view this resource.
If you have additional questions, please contact Dr. Lebude at (919) 414-7343, or by email at

SBA Disaster Loans

Small Business Administration

SBA provides low-interest SBA Disaster Loans to businesses of all
sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters.
SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace the following
items damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster: real estate,
personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory and
business assets.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

Federal Emergency Management
Agency (FEMA)
The purpose of Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is
to provide unemployment benefits and re-employment services
to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a
major disaster and who are not eligible for regular State
unemployment insurance.
NOTE: To apply for FEMA disaster relief programs, you must be
located in an area that has been declared a major federal disaster.
You must also register in order to apply, and can do so by visiting
Federal Assistance to Individuals
and Households
Federal Emergency Management
Agency (FEMA)
Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial help
or direct services to those who have necessary expenses and serious
needs if they are unable to meet the needs through other means.
FEMA's IHP Program includes Housing Assistance and Other
Needs Assistance, which covers:
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Funeral and burial costs
  • Repair, cleaning and replacement
  • Clean-up items
  • Repairing or replacing vehicles
  • Moving and storage expenses
NOTE: To apply for FEMA disaster relief programs, you must be
located in an area that has been declared a major federal disaster.
You must also register in order to apply, and can do so by visiting
Additional Statewide Resources (Last Updated: October 27, 2016)

Dept. of Public Safety
Hurricane Matthew Page

Dept. of Agriculture
Hurricane Matthew Page

Cooperative Extension
Disaster Information Page